Software -> RuMSX, Turbo-R emulator (FreeWare)
was one of the first MSX emulations for the 32bit Windows platform.
The main-problem is that no one of the existing emulators is really complete.
To finish such a project with success it is necessary, that this emulator is FreeWare.
In meantime many other Windows based emulations have been arrived.
Regardless the development of RuMSX continues and I attempt to complete
it's set of its implented features as well as introduce new ideas for
The current version of RuMSX can be found on my download-page (see below).
- Windows 98 or Windows 2000
- Windows 7 or higher
- Mouse & Joystick
- FM/MIDI and Wave capable sound-card
- Video capture card
Contents & support
RuMSX is a multilingual emulation of MSX, MSX 2, MSX 2+ and MSX Turbo-R homecomputers.
The help files contain comprehensive documentation of MSX-Basic and MSX-BIOS as well as many original manuals.
They also contain detailed help for RuMSX itself. Help is available in english language only.
Tip: the RuMSX installation directory contains a MSXW.exe file. This is a unicode build,
which can be executed on Windows 2000 and later (but not on Windows 9X/ME). This build supports
all world-wide used characters, but the savestate-files are not compatible with the standard
MSX.exe. The advantage is that e.g. european machines can display japanese and arabic user-interfaces
with correct characters.
Changes from RuMSX V0.81 to V0.82
Important: RuMSX v0.41 has a new installer! Therefore it is required to uninstall
an older version of RuMSX before installing the new version.
You can uninstall RuMSX through the Control-Panel. Select "Software"
and "RuMSX" to uninstall.
- Improved Epson printer emulation. Chakkari Copy can now print on emulated Epson JP-80 and SP-80 printers.
- SRAM of "Koei" and "ASCII/8k" cartridges was not saved in SaveState file.
- Added "Hydlide 2" ROM-type and ROM-database entry.
- Internal build error in V0.81 may have caused load-errors of resource libraries (e.g. Spanish translation).
- Missing Control-Panel label in Chinese translation.
- Minor updates in Help (Error-codes, CALL BC)
- MSX Control-Panel activation mistakenly paused RuMSX if "Save CPU" option was enabled.
- Added "Printer form feed" command in menu, to flush pending print-pages without need to change the printer or close RuMSX.
- Added PI-40 (color)printer emulation for use with "Game Master" and "Chakkari Copy".
- Improved rendering-speed of printed PDF documents.
Note: "Microsoft Print to PDF" should prefered to "FreePDF", because FreePDF reports
a too small printing area (this is why pages are printed smaller than on real printers).
- Fixed MSX2+ SoftBoot (includes unpatch of MSX2PEXT.ROM)
- Fixed help for "Chakkari Copy" CALL statements: BPRINT, PAUSE, SCHANGE
- Added exclusive command-line parameters BoostCount and BoostSeconds to temporary boost the MSX startup process.
Examples: /BoostSeconds:5 or /BoostCount:250
- Added documentation of MSX TAPE I/O, thanks to Jose Manuel
- Bugfixes and improvements in "MSX-host demo.dsk"
- Improved MSX-HOST interface:
Interface version 1.1 now supports profiling and shutdown.
Full featuring ROM is the MSX-HOST.ROM version 1.2
See "Interface-ROM for the host operating-system" in Help for more information.
- Known issue: Hires-timer is not 100% exact
The correct functionality of the software being spread on this website
is not guaranteed by MSX Association nor Microsoft.
Both parties do not accept any responsibility concerning the results of
using this software. Please use this software at your own risk.
On this place I want to thank the authors of really "free" code and/or their useful support!
For information about these peoples refer to the about-box of the current RuMSX release.
(in this list you can select a member and click "Details..." for more informations,
as homepage and e-mail adress...)
Source-code & translations
Because of several reasons I'm not able to publish the full source at this time.
If you still want to have a look on partial sources of RuMSX you can download the
limited release for RuMSX V0.82 here!
If you want to add support for other languages (translations) please contact me first!
Templates and basic guidelines are provided for reference only.